Thursday, February 1, 2007

Echo e.e. cummings

it may not always be so; and i say that if your lips, which i have loved, should touch another's, and your dear strong fingers clutch his heart, as mine in time not far away; if on another's face your sweet hair layin such silence as i know, or such great writhing words as, uttering overmuch, stand helplessly before the spirit at bay; if this should be, i say if this should be--you of my heart, send me a little word; that i may go unto him, and take his hands, saying, Accept all happiness from me. Then shall i turn my face and hear one bird sing terribly afar in the lost lands
--it may not always be so; and i say (from Tulips & Chimneys, 1923)

Accept all happiness from me
and i do wish it so
even as i dread
how it will hollow my soul

it may not always be so
but let the moment stand
for as long as i can give
do not mind
how i bleed

if this should be
let me discover
the substance of my grief
and my being
will have meaning
if this should be

No comments: