Monday, March 5, 2007

Reposted: I am Wishing for the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
-W.B. Yeats-

I know of beauty not because I have brushes with it. I find beauty implicit in the evil that surrounds me. The universe is governed by the law of action having an equal and opposite reaction. Immersion to things vile and dark and ugly, gives me hope. I am subject, like all beings, to appreciate the fact that there is duality present in everything. Light versus dark, evil versus good, confusion versus clarity. For the tragically flawed to be in the same vicinity with ultimate beauty, might be an exercise in cruelty. Nevertheless, I do believe that we all need something to aspire to. For what are we, without our dreams? Life is difficult enough as it is. The positivist continues to exist in a bubble of hope, cushioning him from a reality far removed from its own being. Need I envelop myself in the same haze? Yes, for I have seen too much, I have known pain for what it is and pain for what it can continue to be. Do not curse me when I ask for rain, when I ask for miracles. You do not know pain by its first name like I do, every second of everyday. And what do you know of pain? The giver of pain doesn't acquaint himself with its recipient, nor does he care about the soul being ravaged by the passage of time. He sits comfortably, contemplating his own greatness against the happiness he takes, as he sees the world owing it to him. My need to be with people who understands pain will remain a mystery to you, for you steeled yourself against any form of vulnerability, which will cost your happiness someday. That very same day, I will be standing on the precipice of something wonderful, awaiting for my own piece of heaven. I thank God we are the polarities of the same being, because while you continue to stagnate being you, I will approach greatness by learning to be me. Wherefore the grace of my God, goeth I.

No comments: